Motorcycle Insurance in BC
How much does insurance cost?
We get this question a lot, but the truth is that we don’t actually know. This is because there are many factors which can affect your insurance premium, to the point where two people with the exact same bike could end up paying a completely different amount for their insurance.
While we are unable to provide any specific numbers, you’ll find that your insurance premiums may be affected by any of the following factors:
- Driver Factor
- Based on your Driving History or Abstract;
- Includes recorded experience, at-fault accidents, traffic tickets, etc.;
- Insurance & Claims history
- Theft, vandalism, accidents;
- Amount of coverage
- More coverage = More $$;
- Value of bike, deductible;
Specific to motorcycles, the type of usage will not affect your premium (ie. recreation, work, commuting, etc.), however premiums go up with larger engines. Here’s the breakdown:
- Up to 110cc – $
- 111 – 400cc – $$
- 401 – 750cc – $$$
- 751 – 1150cc – $$$$
- Over 1150cc – $$$$$
Types of Insurance
Liability InsuranceAll BC motorists are required by law to have ICBC Basic Autoplan insurance.
- Minimum $200K 3rd Party Liability;
- Many riders elect to purchase more than the minimum amount;
- $1M and $2M of coverage are most popular amongst motorcycle riders;
- 3rd Party Liability does NOT cover you for damages to your own bike.