Survival Rider Training
Training & Licensing
For Motorcycles & Scooters
- Before the Course
- After the Course
- Road Test Support
- What’s Included
- Register for ProRide Courses here
- Specialty Courses
- Course Calendar
The Survival Rider Program, ProRIDE’s feature course, is an ICBC-Approved training program. During this 5-day all-inclusive course, students will be given an opportunity to ride a variety of school bikes while covering such topics as Rider Psychology, Control Fundamentals, Vehicle Dynamics, and Survival Riding Strategies. Additionally riders will be taught how to manage Space, Time, and Visibility, as well as develop and reinforce good riding habits for a variety of riding conditions.
During this program, riding skills are assessed on-site (the parking lot test) and graduating riders may qualify to have the Speed and Supervisor restrictions lifted from their learner’s license**.
Though these classes are designed with the beginner rider in mind, many experienced riders have taken this course to upgrade their skills to the most current standard. As lifelong learners, we welcome and encourage riders of all levels to continue to develop their skills, and to learn or relearn new or different ways to enjoy riding bikes!
- Students should be proficient with riding a bicycle. The importance of this cannot be emphasized enough; if you haven't ridden one as an adult, we strongly recommend you obtain a bicycle and refamiliarize yourself before the 1st rider training class.
- Motorcycles are primarily manual-shift operation. Manual shifting is thoroughly covered in the course, but any practical experience driving a manual-shift car will be helpful.
- Students need to visit an ICBC Driver Licensing branch and qualify for a Class 6/8 Learner's License. You must present your learner's license on each day of the course.
- Please note that at this time ICBC is offering knowledge testing only to renew an expired learner's license. If you are a new applicant, please follow ICBC's newsfeed on Twitter or Facebook to be notified when knowledge testing opens up for new applicants.
- ICBC's "Learn to Ride Smart" manual is required reading for this course. Students are encouraged to complete this reading before the 1st class; you may obtain a printed copy free at any ICBC Driver Licensing Office, or read and study it online.
Don't have the right gear yet? Click the blue button to see the Minimum Gear Requirements
Your ProRIDE experience doesn’t end after 4 days! We find that students who ride 1000km or more after finishing the course are more confident, better equipped and more likely to pass the ICBC Road Test on their 1st attempt. To help you prepare, ProRIDE Graduates get access to a full menu of Graduate Support Services such as:
- Training Bike Rentals
- Supplementary Training:
All Graduate Support Services are provided at an additional cost, but don't forget that 1 Traffic Session is included with your course tuition! You can be confident that ProRIDE will walk you through step-by-step until you are ready for your ICBC Road Test! Consider upgrading to the Premium Survival Rider Package that includes an additional Traffic Session, plus rental for your road test. Not to mention a ProRIDE branded disc lock!
When you’re ready, let us help you challenge the ICBC Motorcycle Road Test! Graduates get access to preferred road test scheduling, available only through ProRIDE! After booking your test, you’ll be invited to join us for our Pre-Test Simulator Session. As a Graduate, you will also be able to purchase a Pre-Test Simulator Session (Included in the Premium Survival Rider Package). Consider this a rehearsal before the "big show"; we’ll outfit you with a radio and follow you around in traffic just as they do on the actual ICBC road test. Don’t worry -- it’s not real and it won’t count, but we’ll let you know how you’re riding and what adjustments you can make for the real road test!
For the Pre-Test Simulator you’ll have access to a school motorcycle (included) if needed, or BYO. School bikes will be available on test day on a rental basis.
This package is available for only $100!
- Sorry, unused Road Test Packages may not be exchanged for other services.
Group Training Includes
- 2x Classroom Theory Sessions: 8 hours;
- 2x Closed Circuit Practical Training Sessions: 12 hours;
- ICBC-Approved course time = 20 hours
- Motorcycle Skills Assessment
☑ Included (upon successful completion of all required modules)
- Use of a school bike for the lot
☑ Included for all course time
- We ask students to provide their own helmet due to Covid19 but we have helmets you can rent for $20/course. You can check this item when you sign up for your course.
- Jackets and gloves provided if you need them.
- Road Test Booking with ICBC
- IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO RENT A BIKE FOR YOUR FINAL ROAD TEST ($100)
- You will need to book an appt with us for the day of your test, come pick it up at the school lot, ride to your test and then return the bike to the school lot.
Total Instructional/Support Time: 20 Hours
Premium Training Includes
- All of the above PLUS
- 1x Traffic Session: 3 Hours;
- 1x Pre-Test Simulation (Mock Road Test): 2 Hours;
- ProRIDE branded disc lock
Total Instructional/Support Time:
Basic Package: 20 Hours
Premium Package: 25 Hours
How to Register
Self-serve registration is available 24/7 using your smartphone or computer. Our convenient online calendar is updated in real-time; Click the green Register button below to view up-to-the-minute class availability.
Register: Survival Rider Training
- During registration, your spot will be held for 10 minutes before it is released. Please complete your booking within this time in order to secure your spot;
- Please note you must obtain a Motorcycle Learner’s License in order to attend our training course. At this time ICBC is offering Knowledge Testing for Learner’s Licenses By Appointment Only. If you do not yet have a learner’s license at this time, we encourage you to wait until you have a Knowledge Test Appointment booked with ICBC *before* booking in for the ProRIDE course. More info on Licensing and booking the Knowledge Test:
- The last course for 2023 will be in November; the next course after this will be Spring of 2024;
- Courses may book up to 8 weeks in advance;
- New courses appear every week at the bottom of the calendar;
- Please continue to monitor this page for on any new or sudden openings that come up;
- Subscribe to our newsfeed on Social Media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) to be notified instantly when we announce new classes and courses;
- Courses in 2023 may be postponed or delayed depending on restrictions and directives for group gatherings issued by the Public Health Authority.