Survival Rider Training
Training & Licensing
For Motorcycles & Scooters
The Survival Rider Program, ProRIDE’s feature course, is an ICBC-Approved training program. During this 5-day all-inclusive course, students will be given an opportunity to ride a variety of school bikes while covering such topics as Rider Psychology, Control Fundamentals, Vehicle Dynamics, and Survival Riding Strategies. Additionally riders will be taught how to manage Space, Time, and Visibility, as well as develop and reinforce good riding habits for a variety of riding conditions.
During this program, riding skills are assessed on-site (the parking lot test) and graduating riders may qualify to have the Speed and Supervisor restrictions lifted from their learner’s license**.
Though these classes are designed with the beginner rider in mind, many experienced riders have taken this course to upgrade their skills to the most current standard. As lifelong learners, we welcome and encourage riders of all levels to continue to develop their skills, and to learn or relearn new or different ways to enjoy riding bikes!
- Students should be proficient with riding a bicycle. The importance of this cannot be emphasized enough; if you haven't ridden one as an adult, we strongly recommend you obtain a bicycle and refamiliarize yourself before the 1st rider training class.
- Motorcycles are primarily manual-shift operation. Manual shifting is thoroughly covered in the course, but any practical experience driving a manual-shift car will be helpful.
- Students need to visit an ICBC Driver Licensing branch and qualify for a Class 6/8 Learner's License. You must present your learner's license on each day of the course.
- Please note that at this time ICBC is offering knowledge testing only to renew an expired learner's license. If you are a new applicant, please follow ICBC's newsfeed on Twitter or Facebook to be notified when knowledge testing opens up for new applicants.
- ICBC's "Learn to Ride Smart" manual is required reading for this course. Students are encouraged to complete this reading before the 1st class; you may obtain a printed copy free at any ICBC Driver Licensing Office, or read and study it online.
Your ProRIDE experience doesn’t end after 5 days! We find that students who ride 1000km or more after finishing the course are more confident, better equipped and more likely to pass the ICBC Road Test on their 1st attempt. To help you prepare, ProRIDE Graduates get access to a full menu of Graduate Support Services such as:
All Graduate Support Services are provided at an additional cost, but don't forget that 1 additional Traffic Session AND the Road Test Support Package are included with your course tuition! You can be confident that ProRIDE will walk you through step-by-step until you are ready for your ICBC Road Test!
When you’re ready, let us help you challenge the ICBC Motorcycle Road Test! Graduates get access to preferred road test scheduling, available only through ProRIDE! After booking your test, you’ll be invited to join us for our Pre-Test Simulator Session. Consider this a rehearsal before the "big show"; we’ll outfit you with a radio and follow you around in traffic just as they do on the actual ICBC road test. Don’t worry -- it’s not real and it won’t count, but we’ll let you know how you’re riding and what adjustments you can make for the real road test!
For the Pre-Test Simulator you’ll have access to a school motorcycle (included) if needed, or BYO. School bikes will be available on test day on a rental basis.
This package is valued at $179 but it's included at no additional charge with every Survival Rider Program!
- Sorry, unused Road Test Packages may not be exchanged for other services.
Total Instructional/Support Time: 23 + 5 = 28 hours
How to Register
Self-serve registration is available 24/7 using your smartphone or computer. Our convenient online calendar is updated in real-time; Click the green Register button below to view up-to-the-minute class availability.
New – Now you can also register in person at our new Registration Kiosk located at Trev Deeley Motorcycles in Vancouver!
Click the FAQ button for more info on Course Scheduling, Availability, Apparel Requirements as well as our Motorcycle Fleet!
** ICBC Motorcycle Skills Test may be waived upon successful completion of the Approved Course and Motorcycle Skills Assessment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Rider Training FAQ
Our classroom presentation will feature a thorough discussion about safety gear, including an opportunity for Q&A. Some students may elect to defer any large purchases until after this presentation, and that's perfectly fine with us.
Until you purchase your long-term safety gear & apparel, you can wear a short-term solution. A sturdy jacket that zips up, along with a pair of long pants and some hiking boots with high socks may be sufficient for now, but keep in mind that these items provide minimal protection in the event of a fall. Consider wearing your elbow and knee pads if you're worried about falling.
A Full-Face Helmet with chin protection is required for the course. Bring your own or borrow ours.
- Click here to view Apparel Requirements >>
We have a diverse array of bikes in our fleet, including scooters, cruisers, sport bikes, standard and dual sport motorcycles from heavyweight brands such as Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Harley-Davidson. Our fleet ranges in size and power, including bikes in the 111-400cc class, as well as the 401-750cc class. Our lowest bike seats at just 26 inches, so even the most petite of riders can touch the ground with their feet flat while stopped or reversing. The bikes are constantly rotating as we are buying and selling bikes frequently.
Each ProRIDE bike has been upgraded with the student's safety in mind, including one or more of the following on each bike:
- Sliders, Engine Guards, and/or Hand Guards
- LED lighting for visibility in daylight, nighttime, and rainy conditions
- After-market horn for a stronger street-presence
The diversity of our fleet is one of the strengths of our school, and each student in our course has the opportunity to ride as many different motorcycles as possible. Not only will this will help to ensure you get the most thorough education possible, but also you'll be better prepared to make an informed decision when it comes time to purchase your 1st bike.
ProRIDE classes run rain or shine. Quite frankly, learning to ride in the rain makes you a better rider. Few riders plan to ride in the rain, but since we live in "Raincouver", getting caught in the rain is not a question of "if", but rather a question of "when". Learning to ride in the rain will help you prepare to face this challenge when it comes.
On the rainy days we open a couple of 10-ft canopies so you can dry off in-between each exercise. We also provide Stormtech Rain Gear, or bring your own. Just the same we recommend you bring a towel and a change of clothes for the drive home, just in case.
Register: Survival Rider Training
- During registration, your spot will be held for 10 minutes before it is released. Please complete your booking within this time in order to secure your spot;
- Please note that at this time ICBC is offering Knowledge Testing for ALL applicants By Appointment Only. If you do not yet have a learner’s license at this time, we encourage you to wait until you have an Knowledge Test Appointment booked with ICBC *before* booking in for the ProRIDE course. More info on Licensing and booking the Knowledge Test:
- Courses in 2021 may be postponed or delayed depending on restrictions and directives for group gatherings issued by the Public Health Authority.